Back pain! The pain is excruciating and very intolerable. Painkillers give you only temporary relief. Almost all suffer from back pain sometime in their life.
- Being glued to the computer for hours
- Leading sedentary lifestyle
- Bad postures
- Too much of exercise
- Having raised pillows while sleeping.
- Carrying too much weight.
- Sudden unthinking movements which strain your back muscles.
One day while I was cleaning the house I suddenly fell on the ground with a scream. I could not get up. The pain was so terrible that I was literally crying. My daughter helped me to get up. My MRI scan showed that I had inflamed the muscles in my back by persistently carrying over weight.
Back pain – Are you persistently suffering from it?
- If always think about pain, your body reacts to it by intensifying what you are undergoing two fold. You should train your mind not to think of the pain but concentrate on things that give you pleasure.
- Breathing exercises can help you as it relaxes your body muscles. You should breathe in deeply and breathe out deeply also. Your breathing should be rhythmic and regular. When you are doing your breathing exercise, your mind should concentrate on the relief you will feel when your pain is cured.
- Physio therapy will help you immensely. Do it under the supervision of a well-trained therapist. Be very regular in your regimen so that you get good results.
- Keep your mind active. Read books; watch your favorite shows in TV. Comedy shows will make you laugh and forget your pain.
- Sleep in hard surface so that your back is straight. Sleeping in foamy mattress is a big no. Do not lie with too much pillows behind your head. When you add pillows your posture have an U shape. Very bad for your back.
- When watching TV you should sit right in front of it. Do not sit in the side and turn your head to watch it. Strains your back muscles very badly, you know. When talking to a person turn your full body towards him. Don’t just turn your face towards him.
- Do not lift too much weight. Puts great pressure on your back muscles.
- Are you obese? You are very prone to back pain as there is tremendous pressure in your feet to bear your whole body weight. The result is back ache.
- When you pick up heavy objects from the ground do not bend from your waist. You should bend your knees and squat. Then pick the object. This puts less pressure in your back.
- A hot pack will give you temporary relief. You can apply some topical creams to soothe your back pain.
- Do not sit slouched in the chair. Your back should be straight and erect.
- Do not over exercise. Very bad for your back.
- Do not wear slippers with too much heels.
- Keep moving. If you sit in one place your back becomes stiff and painful.
Actually back pain does not come suddenly. It is the snowballing effect of your bad lifestyle and bad postures. You should teach your children good postures which help them avoid future back pain.