First day in job – butterflies literally flutter in your stomach, doesn’t it?
A very normal feeling.
You are new to the job. So naturally you feel nervous about your colleagues, your boss, the nature of your work and your performance.
‘Will I cope with the new environment?’
‘Will my boss like my work?’
Doubting questions, aren’t they?
You are all tied up in nervous knots about your first day in job.
Never feel nervous. Be self- assertive and self- confident.
First day in job – Top 10 tips to put your best foot forward
1. Be punctual
Punctuality is a sure implication of your sincerity.
Keep aside the things you need for the first day in job.
- Iron the dress you are going to wear.
- Polish your shoes.
- Keep the socks beside the shoes
- Start early from home – giving room for the late arrivals of transportation and the heavy traffic.
- Have a healthy breakfast before you start. You need the energy to see you through the day, don’t you?
Nothing looks bad than a late arrival on your very first day in job. Arrive at least 15 minutes before time so that you can access the work environment.
2. Be well-groomed
You are appreciated in your first day in job if you are well-groomed.
You should confirm beforehand if there is any dress code in your workplace.
- Never dress in loud colors. It is a distraction.
- Your hair should be well combed.
- Cut your nails.
- Be well shod.
- Lengthy danglers and gaudy lipstick is a big no for women.
- No freaky hairstyle for men.
Your total appearance should dignified, elegant and totally professional. You should attract the management and your colleagues by your classic dress sense. It is one of the topmost ingredient for success in your work.
3. Introduce yourself
Never wait for your colleagues to introduce themselves. Usually on your first day of job, you cannot expect them to be outgoing and friendly with you. A new comer is always viewed warily.
- Introduce yourself to your colleagues.
- Do not take up too much of their time.
- Do not be too garrulous.
- Do not be too stiff and formal.
- Be friendly and easy to connect.
- Do not put on airs as if you are very intelligent.
4. Switch off your mobile or keep it in silent mode
Do not create a negative impression by having personal conservation with your family.
- You do not want your mobile to ring when you are with your boss, do you?
- Do not keep checking your mobile for messages under your table.
- Keep it in your pocket. Do not take it out.
A small but effective way to show you are a professional to the dot.
5. Never talk ill of your former company
Don’t say negative things about your former company on your first day in job.
- Never go on rhetoric of your fame in your former job.
- Never talk negatively about your former boss.
- Do not compare your old job and your present one.
It has a definite negative impact with your colleagues.
6. No personal questions about the boss\higher officials.
You are naturally curious about the life of your boss\ higher officials.
- Refrain from asking curious questions about the personal life of your boss.
- Do not listen to office gossips.
- Do not also get involved in office politics.
7. Do not be too particular about your timings
Be prepared to stay for longer time on your first day in job.
- Do not rush out as soon as your work hours are over.
- Get an overall impression of your workplace atmosphere.
- You get into the bad books of the management if you are too finicky about your timings.
The impression that you are prepared to stay back for extra work is always received well by the company.
8. Self-confidence creates good impression
- But be very careful that your self-confidence is not overly and too much. It becomes arrogance.
- It puts off your colleagues.
- Have a smiling face when talking with your colleagues.
- No one likes talking with a stiff and glum person.
- Have direct eye contact – a sure sign of your confidence.
- You should be active and smart.
- You should interact with friendliness with your colleagues.
- Do not amble about in your work place.
- Your strides should be firm and confident.
- Never display boredom in your face.
- Look alert and intelligent.
9. Concentrate on your work
Your concentration should be pencil sharp.
- Never let your concentration waver.
- Research about your work during your free time.
- You can ask your colleagues to help you understand your work better.
When you are sincere and humble your colleagues are more than ready to help you.
10. Be informed about the dos and don’ts of your job.
Each and every company have their rules and regulations. You do not want to break it your first day in job.
- Ask your colleagues to inform you about the dos and don’ts of your company.
- Never break any rule.
- Always remember there will be a spy among your colleagues who backbites about you to the management.
- Be very careful not to talk out of turn about the company\boss\management.
Be curious to learn new things. Be assertive and confident. Your first day in job might sometimes make you apprehensive and nervous. Don’t worry. As days passes you understand the nuances of your work. Your true dedication makes you highly proficient and successful.