Workaholic spouse bores you by his\her concentrated love for his\her profession, doesn’t he\she?
You feel lonely and alone when your spouse spends all his\her free time doing his\her official work. There is literally no family life between you.
Of course dedication of your spouse towards his\her profession is very important for his\her success.
But obsession to it makes your spouse a workaholic – full of work and no fun.
‘I am his second wife’ I looked aghast at my friend when she uttered these words.
How can she be so cool about an aspect which would otherwise have a devastating effect on any wife?
Seeing my confused look she laughed. But I could see an undercurrent of sadness in her laughter.
‘Well, his profession is his first wife and I am only secondary to him’ she clarified ruefully.
‘Whenever he talks with me I could feel he was not here. He is always glued to his laptop checking his emails. He would only half listen to whatever I say as his concentration was always on his work.’ she ended sorrowfully.
So her husband was a workaholic.
Does your spouse willingly spend extra hours in his\her work place to prove his\her worth for the company?
Then your spouse is also a workaholic.
It is true your spouse has to be concentrated in his\her profession to be successful.
But everything has its limits!
What happens when your spouse always thinks and talks about his\her work?
- There is no liveliness and sparkle in your interaction.
Is your spouse glued to his\her work even after returning home?
- He\she does not spend quality family time with you.
Does your spouse always think of his\her profession and work related duties?
- He\she never realizes that he\she has duties towards the family.
Top signs your spouse is a workaholic!
- Your spouse is too focused on his\her work
- He\she has only time for his\her profession and not for you.
- Your spouse is always tensed about his\her work.
- Your spouse acts as though the whole company depends on him\her for its success and profit.
- He\she does not trust anyone to do the work.
- He\she does not allocate work among his\her team.
- Your spouse does not want anyone to steal his\her recognition.
- The friend’s circle of your spouse is mostly his\her colleagues.
- Whenever he\she converses with anyone it is invariably about his\her work.
How to deal with workaholic spouse?
It is very tough indeed! Your workaholic spouse always argues that it is professional ethics to be loyal to his\her work.
But your spouse has duties towards you and your family. He\she must understand that.
You suffer from lack of attention because of the obsession your spouse has about his\her profession.
Is your family in financial mess?
Do you need extra money to pull you out of the rut?
Is your spouse working extra hours for the sake of the extra money your family direly needs?
You should be understanding as he\she is working himself\herself threadbare for the sake of the family. You cannot nag him\her about it.
Do not compare your lonely hours with that of your friends who have excellent family life. Do not make the life of your spouse stressful by comparing him\her with your colleagues\friends who spend time with their family. Instead make your spouse relaxed by giving him\her space to do his\her work.
- But during his\her free time you should talk to your spouse that he\she should spend time with the family.
- Tell your spouse to schedule his\her time between work and family.
- Talk to him\her how the children miss him\her.
- Both should have an amiable talk about the family hours to be spent together.
- Your spouse should realize that he\she has duties towards the family also.
- When you make his\her time at home pleasurable your spouse wants to spend more time with you.
- Do not start arguments as to how he\she is neglecting the family. Your spouse hates it.
Do you think your spouse is deliberately being a workaholic with the intention of ignoring you?
Your spouse never realizes that his\her work is eating into his\her family time. In fact your spouse thinks he\she is working for the betterment of the family. Your spouse feels that the extra money earned can boost up the standard of living of the family.
When you want good standard of living you must be prepared to make certain sacrifices.
Your spouse must work hard to prove his\her worth in the profession.
Why is your spouse such a workaholic?
- Your spouse wants the acknowledgement of being worthy in his\her job.
- Your spouse takes his\her dedication towards work too far.
- It makes your spouse feel egoistic when the management makes him\her feel he\she is indispensable for the company
- The more your spouse works, the more money he\she earns.
- Your spouse feels heady with pride with the appreciation and the approval he\she gets from the management.
Do you know that fame, money and acknowledgement are more like intoxication?
Your spouse is intoxicated with his\her success in work.
‘When I work hard the management pays me sumptuously. I am appreciated. And the fame makes me feel heady.’ your workaholic spouse defends.
Your workaholic spouse should learn the art of balancing between family and work.
What is the use of earning thousands of dollars when he\she does not have time to spend with the family?
Your understanding love can make your spouse realize that his\her profession and family are equally important.