Criticism! Do you feel completely let down when others make negative comments about you?
Criticism can literally shake your self-confidence if you take it too much to heart.
But do you know that criticisms can actually mold you into a better and confident person?
There are two types of criticisms
1. Constructive criticism
You need constructive and positive criticism to evolve into a mature and confident person. You never realize your mistakes unless someone points it out to you.
People giving you positive comments are always your well-wishers. They want you to change for the better. You must listen to their advice.
2. Destructive criticism
Destructive criticism is given with the deliberate intention of hurting your feelings. There are times when your close friends\colleagues\relatives makes negative comments about you.
This is the intention of the people who make such destructive comments – to make you mentally upset. Do not give them the pleasure of knowing that they have shaken your confidence. Be very positive. Do not change your behavior if you feel you are doing things the right way. Be what you are.
Why do people make such negative comments about you?
Jealousy and hidden dislike burst forth as adverse comments with the sole intention of hurting you emotionally.
How to handle criticism in life – Understand it in its proper perspective.
- Do not judge yourself by what others say about you.
- Do not make your mind static and stalled by the negative comments you hear about you.
- Understand the difference between positive criticism and negative criticism.
- Do not listen to people who deliberately hurt your feelings.
- Thrust them away from your life.
‘You meander about a lot before coming to the main topic. Catch the viewers’ attention by conveying your thoughts in the first paragraph’ my friend who was an expert in writing commented on the initial articles I had written.
I looked through my articles. She was right on target. I was indeed bit dragging before coming to the main point. I thanked my friend for making a constructive criticism. She changed my writing for the better. If I had not listened to her my writing would not have evolved for the better.
I thanked God that I listened to her constructive advice.
Constructive criticism is given with a good intention of correcting your mistakes. You should pay heed to such criticisms as they pinpoint your negative drawbacks which eludes your attention.
- Comments pointing your unknown mistakes is very essential.
- They change you into a more positive person.
- You develop your character in a very authentic way.
- You erase your mistakes.
- You chose the right path to make you successful.
Positive criticism is more like a mirror. It reflects your mistakes. You change for the better.
‘Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things’- Winston Churchill
But negative criticism curtails your progress towards success.
- It inculcates a sense of inferiority complex in you.
- You should realize that negative criticism is the result of jealousy others feel about you.
- You are criticized with the cruel intention of inflicting a feeling of incompetence in you.
Stride over such criticism and do your work in a real positive way. If you lend your ears to such negative criticisms you become static and stale. Your confidence touches a new low.
Criticism in your work place.
- When you face persistent criticism from your boss you feel upset.
- Do not withdraw into a shell and close your mind in dejection.
- If you do so, your work will suffer.
- Do a self-analysis about your work.
- Be ruthless in your exploration.
- Are you lagging in confidence?
- Is your knowledge about your work insufficient?
Do you have a backlog of your work?
Do not pile up your work. Segment it into easy workable schedule. Finish the segmented work with utmost dedication. Dedication is the first step towards avoiding mistakes. You can now bid adieu to unnecessary criticisms.
Criticism in your day to day life
- Your way of dressing is always under a scanner.
- The way you interact with people is always watched and commented.
- Your lifestyle is often remarked harmfully.
Take positive criticisms in the right spirit and thrust aside the negative ones.
Remember that without criticisms you will become complacent. Complacency spells future inadequacy and failure.
People who criticize you are also human with the tendency to err and hurt. Be clever enough to see through negative criticisms. Treasure the positive ones as a stepping stone to your utmost success and cast aside the negative ones as a thorn to be removed.