One child syndrome is common in this modern world as most parents opt for one child. Your only child develops complex characteristics which is problematic and challenging for most parents.
Does your only child also suffer from one child syndrome?
What exactly does one child syndrome mean?
- Your child does not share his\her things – everything is mine attitude.
- He\she is very demanding.
- Your only child creates scenes as he\she dominates you.
- He\she becomes an introvert and a loner.
- He\she is selfish. –always concentrated on the self.
‘If you don’t understand how a woman could both love her sister dearly and want to wring her neck at the same time, then you were probably an only child’- Linda sunshine
Does your only child suffer from these problems?
Does he\she not listen to you?
Does he\she not like sharing things with others?
Is your child very selfish?
One child syndrome – very troublesome – needs careful handling
One child syndrome was something unheard of when I was young. We were four children to our mother. Loneliness was something we never experienced. We were more of friends. To this day I think nostalgically of the Sundays when we used to play all sorts of indoor and outdoor games. We fought, laughed and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. There was no computer or TV to eat into our fun time.
Can you see such affinity among siblings in today’s hectic world?
The world has totally changed. The main sufferer is relationship. Modern couples opt for a single child as they have such a chaotic work schedule. They just do not have the time.
Do you feel that it is better to have a single child and bring him\her up well?
Do you feel having more children will make you struggle to make both ends meet?
Are you correct or wrong in opting for a single child?
Everything in life has its own pros and cons.
What are the pros of a single child?
- You can concentrate more on him\her.
- You give your only child the best things in life
- He\she has your total love uncontested.
What are the cons of a single child?
- Your only child refuses to share anything with others.
- He\she refuses to adjust.
- He\she becomes too self-centered and selfish.
- He\she does not mingle with others easily.
- Your only child does not have anyone of his\her age to share his\her feelings.
It is true that bringing up children is no easy joke in this tough world. It becomes even tougher when you have a single child.
Do you have a single child?
Or do you have more?
One or more is just numbers. It is the way you mold his\her characteristics that decides the sort of person he\she will evolve into.
Nowadays you concentrate on providing your child with the best education and other latest things available in the market. You literally bring up your child with extraordinary wellbeing.
- But have you told him\her about nurturing relationship?
- Have you ever told him\her to respect elders?
- Have you ever inculcated in him\her the sense of sharing?
- Do you ever spend quality time with your child?
I am afraid you are more inclined to make your child aware of the importance of money rather than of relationship.
‘Study well. It is then you will get a good job and earn lots of money’ I have heard many parents telling their children these words.
‘I am sorry’
Have you taught your child these words?
No, you don’t.
This is the reason your only child is often insolent and brazen.
You spoil your only child by buying him\her whatever he\she demands. When you do that he\she grows without knowing the value of money.
When you always listen to your child’s persistent demands, he\she learns the art of emotional blackmail. He\she literally threatens you to do things his\her way. Your only child now becomes quite a handful. You are worried and upset as to how to handle your spoilt brat!
My daughter is also a single child. She suffered a lot in her childhood because of our financial downfall. She could not enjoy even her basic childish wishes as we struggled to make both ends meet. But what we were unable to provide materialistically, we more than made it up by being her best friends.
‘Consider you lucky, darling’ I told her.
She looked baffled.
‘You are suffering at an age when you do not have any specific wishes. You now know the value of money. You will never make the mistakes we made. This is just a passing phase in your life. Time will come when you too will enjoy the best things in life’, I kissed my daughter with love.
‘You will be humble and caring to the needy as you know the pain of having nothing.’
This is the long advice I always give her when she was a child. Now she is a confident young woman, very successful professionally and very emotionally attached to me. Our friendly relationship is envied by many.
These are the most important things you should do to avoid one child syndrome.
- You should teach your only child adjustability and the beauty of sharing.
- Do not spoil him\her by buying him\her whatever he\she demands. If you do so, he\she grows up thinking that life is easy and he\she can have everything without having to work for it.
- Spend quality time with your only child so that he\she does not feel lonely.
- Pet animals’ works wonders in the life your only child. They become his\her best friend.
It is up to you to mold your only child into a person of good characteristics. Love him\her. Instill in him\her love for others. Teach him\her the beauty of humility. Your only child will be your dream child as he\she grows up knowing the true value of human relationship.