What exactly are they?
There are certain age old beliefs you have about your married life. Modernity has not changed your expectations.
Love, care, mutual respect, loyalty and lifelong togetherness – Some of your idealistic relationship dreams.
Great expectations, aren’t they?
Your marriage myths.
But does these myths exist throughout your relationship?
What is the poor state of modern marriages?
- You take your spouse for granted.
- There is no guarantee of eternal love between you.
- There is no assurance that your marriage would last.
Many marriage myths have been battered and crushed by the so called modern couples.
Top 5 marriage myths broken – The sorry state of modern marriages.
1. Our love will always last forever
During your dating days your love for each other is at its peak.
- You are emotional with love when you think of your spouse.
- You feel nothing is more important in your life than your spouse.
- You always want to spend your time together.
- You are sure your spouse is a perfect match to your great expectations.
The topmost myth about your married life is that your love would last till you live.
But it is often a pipe dream.
Your love soon loses its sheen and glow.
Your great expectation that your love would last forever slowly becomes unreal and illusionary.
When you were in love both had so much to talk about. You had many things to appreciate about your spouse. You talked and talked for hours.
‘My married life is going to be wonderful. I have found a perfect partner. I am the luckiest person in the world’.
But your dream remains a dream.
Your married life is entirely different. It is a very problematic and responsible relationship. You are taken aback by the different side of your spouse. A totally negative side.
You are no longer enamored by your spouse. You find many aspects of him\her very disappointing and boring. Your married life is now very boring, very predictable and very mundane.
2. Money will never be an issue between us
Before marriage you thought your love was more important than anything else in the world.
But after marriage you are amazed by the power money welds in your relationship.
- Your interaction with your spouse is almost always about money.
- You invariably argue about money.
- Your way of spending money is entirely different from your spouse.
- You clash with him\her regarding the money you earn.
- You feel used when you do not have personal money.
- You feel your spouse leeches you off your hard earned money.
- You feel your spouse is selfish and money minded.
Before your marriage you never thought money would be an issue in your relationship.
But after marriage money becomes the topmost reason for your arguments and fights.
3. I will always support my spouse!
Before marriage you are overwhelmingly in love with your spouse. You feel totally protective towards him\her.
‘I must always support him\her when he\she needs it’. I am sure you must have made this promise.
But strangely after marriage you no longer feel protective towards your spouse.
You often feel your spouse takes you for granted. You are more angry and resentful than supportive and protective towards him\her.
You never feel like supporting your spouse as you feel he\she coolly overlooks your emotional needs.
As you are concentrated on your own work related problems and stress you too cannot be bother about the problems your spouse faces.
4. I will treat my in-laws as my parents
Did you feel you can love the parents of your spouse as yours?
In fact before marriage you feel you have the best in-laws in the world. Your in-laws also put their best foot forward.
But after marriage everything changes.
Your in laws do not show the selfless love of your parents. They are very calculative and self-centered.
After a few days of married you are totally fed up with your in-laws.
- You never feel emotionally bonded to your in-laws.
- In fact you feel antagonistic about them.
- They are often causes for arguments between you and your spouse. This makes you even more alienated from them.
- Your loyalty and affection remains with your parents.
Your poor spouse is shocked when you betray his\her trust that you would be a dream son-in-law\daughter-in-law.
Yet another marriage myth broken!
5. I will never lie to my spouse
Before marriage you are very frank with your spouse. You confide everything to him\her. But after marriage you tell white lies to your spouse.
You hide many things from your spouse as you do not want any unwanted arguments with him\her.
- You hide your savings.
- You hide your investments.
- You lie about helping your parents.
- You also lie about the things you buy.
- You lie about your whereabouts.
Can you see how you break marriage myths one by one?
This is a harsh reality you should realize about married life.
Does this mean marriage relationship itself is a myth?
It is not!
It is your impractical dreams about marriage that never comes true.
So never be too dreamy. Love your spouse for what he\she is. It makes your married life much easier to live.