Most couples lose interest in each other after the initial glow of their marriage wears off.
The presence of your spouse kindled immense interest in you in the initial days of your marriage.
Everything about your spouse excites you, as he\she is new to you. The freshness and newness you feel makes your relationship very interesting. But as years go by, you gradually lose interest in your spouse.
It happens in almost all marriages.
The answer is simple.
Have you heard of the proverb ‘familiarity breeds contempt’?
When you see your spouse day in and day out you are not excited about him\her. When you do the same things over and over again you feel bored in your married life.
This is the top reason why couples lose interest in each other.
Have you also lost interest in your spouse?
Then you must be finding your married life boring and dull.
Unless you are interested in your spouse, you cannot make your marriage a success.
‘The true secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life.’- William Morris
Your interest in each other should act as a magnetic power in your relationship.
You do not feel interested in strangers, do you?
It is because they mean nothing to you.
You are interested in your spouse because you love him\her. You feel he\she belongs to you.
Take this marriage quiz to find the status of your married life.
Before marriage, your interest in each other is at its peak.
- You do everything to attract your spouse towards you.
- You behave in a way that makes your spouse feel that he\she has found a perfect husband\wife.
- You are fascinated by him\her.
- Everything about him\her excites you.
- You are always presentable before him\her.
- You are very appreciative and encouraging.
- You are supportive and caring.
But everything changes after a few years of your married life. Boredom and dullness enters into your relationship. You soon become utterly disinterested in your spouse.
What happens when couples lose interest in each other?
- You are bored to interact with your spouse.
- You are no longer attracted to him\her.
- You do not observe the goodness of your spouse.
- You drift along your relationship in name-sake togetherness.
- Your relationship becomes stale and dull.
- Your interaction with your spouse is routine and mundane.
Sad, isn’t it?
The interest of the audience makes a film a grand success.
A film star has great fan following because his fans are interested in him.
When something creates great interest, it is a great success. When something does not create any interest, it is doomed to be a miserable failure.
Before marriage, you are greatly interested in your spouse.
- You like his\her looks before marriage.
- You easily overlooked his\her faults before marriage.
- You were very appreciative before marriage.
- You demonstrated your love openly and explicitly.
But after marriage, the scenario changes completely.
- You scarcely look at your spouse after marriage.
- You make a big deal about his\her minor faults after marriage.
- You never utter a word of appreciation after marriage.
- You never demonstrate your love.
Why do you feel disinterested about your spouse?
- You get so used to your spouse that you scarcely notice anything about him\her after the initial glow of your marriage fades.
- Your feel your spouse is more of a person who resides in the same house because you married him\her.
- You no longer feel emotionally bonded to him\her.
You get so used to your spouse being with you that you feel nothing exciting about him\her. His\her presence no longer excites you. In fact, there are times when you feel highly irritated to be with your spouse.
Who is in the wrong for this stalemate?
The fault lies with both. Both never make any efforts to make yourself interesting to your spouse.
Most couples lost interest in each other because of the same reasons.
How should you rekindle your interest in each other?
- Demonstrate your love openly and explicitly.
- Keep communicating with your spouse. When you do not communicate, it becomes a habit. A very bad habit.
- Make your interaction friendly and enjoyable.
- Small talk with your spouse. Topics like movies, sports, hobbies, and film stars are non-controversial and you can extend your conversation without arguing about it.
- Avoid sensitive topics like religion, physical appearance of your spouse and his\her upbringing.
- Enjoy being together.
What happens when you are interested in your spouse?
- You enjoy your togetherness.
- You are friendly with each other
- You communicate with your spouse, always and every time.
- You are supportive when he\she needs your emotional back up.
- You have easy interaction with your spouse as you have so much to talk to him\her.
What should you do to sustain your interest in your marriage relationship?
Be curious and observing.
When you are curious about something, you take incredible interest in it.
Couples lose interest in each other because they fail to understand the nuances of making their marriage work.
Your marriage life should be like reading a new book.
Not like reading the same pages repeatedly. Not like watching the same movie repeatedly.
Becomes very boring, doesn’t it?
When you are interested in your spouse, you see him\her in a different light daily. You find new things that attract you to him\her.
His\her unique mannerisms interest you.
The way your spouse handles family problems make you emotionally inclined towards him\her.
Of course, you cannot maintain the initial frenzied passion of your early marriage days. But mature and caring interest towards your spouse makes your relationship more valuable.