What exactly does it mean?
It is a sleeping disorder wherein you find it difficult to sleep. You lay on bed tossing for hours widely awake.
Insomnia can be terrible for persons suffering from it.
“I’ve always envied people who sleep easily. Their brains must be cleaner, the floorboards of the skull well swept, all the little monsters closed up in a steamer trunk at the foot of the bed.” –David Benioff
You never really understand the beauty of deep sleep unless you know the torture of lying awake all through the night.
What causes insomnia?
- Mental stress and tension
- Unhappiness in your relationship.
- Noisy atmosphere like music blaring nearby.
- Extreme weather conditions – either too hot or too cold.
- Heavy late night dinner.
- Consuming alcohol.
- Money problems is also a main cause for sleepless nights.
Whatever might be the reason, it is sheer bore to stay awake while others are deeply asleep.
How to know you have insomnia?
- You are unable to sleep even when you are dead tired.
- You sleep erratically.
- You get up frequently in the night.
- You are unable to get back to sleep again.
- You doze in the early hours and get up feeling groggy and tired.
What happens when you suffer from insomnia?
- You feel worn-out throughout the day
- You are listless and lackluster in your workplace.
- Your mind is drained and does not perform to its optimum best.
There is yet another hellish side of insomnia.
- Sleepless nights awaken the hidden fears stored in your mind.
- All your problems looks mammoth when you are wide awake in the night.
Some fifty years ago we were in bed by eight and woke up by six in the morning. We did not watch TV till late in the night. There were no computers. There were no video games. We played lots of outdoor games. We fell asleep as soon as we went to bed.
But over the years your life style has change drastically. You have hectic work schedule. You cannot dream of such an early hour sleep.
Insomnia is essentially a byproduct of modern lifestyle – Very dangerous and hazardous to your health
- You do not have a set sleep pattern.
- You stay awake for long hours browsing the net or playing video games.
- You eat heavily in the night
- You drink alcohol during night hours.
- You consume lots of caffeine in the night.
Top 10 ways to overcome insomnia – Change your lifestyle
- Do not eat oil rich food in the night as it makes your stomach uneasy. Heavy stomach disturbs your sleep
- A tired body always embraces sleep very fast. Leading sedentary life style makes your body sluggish and lethargic. Be agile and active throughout the day.
- Depression can make you feel restless and agitated. Your negative assumptions about your future makes you too frightened to sleep.. Be positive and confident.
- Never have arguments with your spouse in the night. It makes you very stressed and tensed. You toss about in your bed as your mind is disturbed.
- When you spend laughing time with your family, your mind is relaxed. You find it easy to sleep peacefully.
- Make your eyes tired. Reading can make you feel drowsy. Read books till your eyes become heavy. As soon as you feel the heaviness in your eyes close the book. Switch off the light and lay down. You will sleep immediately.
- Your beddings must be comfortable and cozy.
- A glass of warm milk added with a spoon of honey can make you sleepy.
- Follow a set time pattern of sleeping hours. Choose a particular time to sleep. The alarm clock in your body gets accustomed to the routine.
- Do not think of your work when you go to sleep. Never think of your future. Do not think of your snarling boss. Do not think of your tensed work atmosphere. These are all deterrents to your sleep.
You should sleep as soon as you rest your head in the pillow. A good and complete sleep is like oxygen to your stressed mind. Eight hours of undisturbed sleep is a great blessing. Your sleep should be absolute, peaceful and undisturbed. Makes you very productive the next day!