Your dream is to be a good father to your children, isn’t it?
It is sad that your role as a father is often underestimated and underrated.
You have a vital role in shaping the character of your children. You too can be a pillar of strength to them.
‘That’s the thankless position of the father in the family – the provider for all and the enemy of all –J.August Strindberg
Top 10 tips to be a good father – Your children adore you
1. Be a patient father
Patience is a key ingredient that brings you closer to your children.
Are you very impatient and short-tempered?
Do you have the tendency to yell at your children?
You can never have a friendly relationship with them if you commit these mistakes.
- Come down to their level to see the world through their eyes.
- Your children come up to you with their problems because they trust you to understand them.
- What appears as a trivial problem in your view is a major issue before their yet to –mature-mind.
2. Spend quality time with them
Are you a father who wants to be left alone after returning home from a hectic work schedule?
You are missing the delight of spending quality time with your children.
You should realize that your children have been eagerly waiting for your arrival so that they can have fun with you.
- Do not spoil their mood by shoving them away from you.
- Satisfy their eagerness by asking them questions about their day in school\college.
- Be humorous. Your children like it.
You literally feel your tiredness melting as you unwind with your children.
3. Never fight with your wife before them
Are you angry with your wife?
Do you fight with her right in front of your children?
A grave mistake.
- Your children never understand the reason for your fights.
- But your anger makes them frightened.
- They construe a very bad image about you – A bad father who ill-treats their mother.
- Your arguments with your wife should be done when your children are not there.
4. Be a helping father
Do you know your children adore it when you help them in their home work or school projects?
- Help them eagerly.
- Show your enjoyment.
Do you feel it is the prerogative of your wife to prepare your children for school?
No. it is not.
Be a helping father with voluntary willingness. They easily stamp you as a good father.
5. Be a smiling father
Are you a father who is always glum and gloomy when at home?
Your children avoid you.
- Laugh with them.
- Share jokes with them.
- Play around with them.
- Have total fun with them.
Your children need it.
6. Understand that your children are individuals
Your children might be from you. But they can never be you.
- Do not thrust your ideas on them.
- It makes them feel stressed when you intrude into their independence.
- Let them evolve their own way.
- Let them decide their own life.
- You should just be a guide, not a decider.
7. Be a fun-loving father
Take your children for outing. Your children crave for it.
- Forget all your worries and give your children the treat of a happy –go-lucky -father.
- Buy them things their young mind crave for.
- Do not be too money minded by denying their tiny needs. Your children feel utterly disappointed when you keep denying them everything.
Small tricks to boost your image as an indulgent and good father.
8. Be a supportive father
- Be the first person to help your children in their time of need.
- Build confidence in them that you will be there to guide them towards the right path.
Your children should be absolutely confident that they have a shoulder to lean on in their times of stress.
9. Be an appreciative father
- Appreciate your children when they achieve even a tiny success.
It might be a drawing done painstakingly by your child. It might be even a small thing as doing their own bed.
- If you appreciate them, it will make them do even better.
Appreciation initiates your children to do to great things in their life.
Sadly you never understand its importance.
10. Be a strict father also
Do you know you have to be strict when there is a need?
- When your children do something wrong, do not overlook it.
- Tell them firmly where they went wrong and advise them to correct themselves.
- But do not be harsh. If you are harsh and strict with your children, it will alienate you from them.
See eye to eye with your children in a friendly manner.
‘All fathers are invisible in daytime; daytimes are ruled by mothers and fathers come out at night. Darkness brings home fathers, with their real unspeakable power. There is more to eyes than meets the eye.’ Margaret Atwood, Cat’s Eye
You should always be a role model to your children. They are what you are. So cultivate the image of a person with good manners, honesty and trust worthiness. Your children automatically respect and love you as a great and good father.