Does a home maker make a better wife than a working woman?
‘Sometimes when you are a great mom, you’re not so great at your job. And then when you’re good at your job, you’re not so great of a mom or a good wife. It’s a dance that never stops. But it’s beautiful.’ –Gisele Bundchen
The above quote beautifully sums up the tug of war which has been going on for years between the home maker and the working woman.
The working woman argues ‘homemaker has all the time in the world to take rest and do her work leisurely. But I have to slog at home and in my work place. I have to adjust with non-cooperative colleagues and the snobbish management. Hmmm! She is indeed lucky as she has no work related stress.’
The home maker would never let this argument go unanswered.
‘It is true I can take rest and do my work leisurely. But she cannot imagine the magnitude of work I do. It is never ending.’
‘A working woman works just for eight hours. She cites her tiredness and relaxes before the TV after returning home. But I have to look after the children and my hungry husband. She gets salary for the work she does. But I am an unpaid maid – a thankless job’ fumes the home maker.
Home maker vs. working woman – who makes a good wife?
Let us look at the two diversified world of women!
The world of a working woman!
You feel you are more valuable than a homemaker. ‘I feel tired of my hectic work schedule. I work in my office and come home for yet another load of household chores. But a homemaker can do her work at her own sweet time’.
You are right!
You have work in your house as well as in your work place.
Very tiresome, isn’t it?
But you have certain privileges which a home maker does not have.
- You have better confidence than the home maker because of your financial independence.
- You can afford a good standard of living.
- You have the capacity to buy your children the best things available in the market.
- You share the financial commitments of the family.
- You can afford many good things the world has to offer as both earn lots of money.
- You have a good say in family decisions.
- You are respected by your husband because of your assertiveness.
But you have your own drawbacks.
- You are too independent and do not listen to your husband.
- You are heated up by work related tension and find it easy to start arguments with him.
- You cite your tiredness and do not spend quality time with your family and your children.
- There are lots of ego clashes between you and your husband.
The world of a homemaker!
‘Well, I slave at home. She is paid for her work, but there is no remuneration for me. I have to maintain my house with the income my husband gives me. With inflation at its peak it is nerve-wracking to make two ends meet’
You are right that you do tremendous service for your family without expecting anything in return. You are there at home when your children return from school\college. You have the pleasure of spending quality time with them. You cater to the needs of your husband better and he loves you for it.
But you too have your own share of disadvantages
- Your children yearn for good things which you could have afforded if you were working.
- Your husband struggles to maintain the family within his income as he is the sole contributor.
- You feel you are taken for granted by your husband.
- You lack the confidence of a working woman.
A homemaker might be selfless in catering to the needs of her family in a sincere and dedicated manner. But the world has turned mercenary and you are respected for your wealth and affluence. So you need financial stability to survive in this harsh world.
A working wife wins over a homemaker in certain respects. Unless there is money you cannot enjoy a good life style and the income of one person is not enough to maintain a family. You become more confident and assertive when you have financial independence.
This is not to demean the contribution of the home maker in any way.
But the confidence of a working woman is priceless. Her balancing between work and family is amazing. She wins the tug of war in an authentic manner.